What happens when I get a ticket in Grandview Heights?
You will be responsible to either accept the citation and pay the ticket prior to the court date indicated on the ticket, or else appear at your court date and enter a plea. When your name is called, you must stand before the Court for the purpose of entering a plea. You will enter your plea after the charges are read to you by a Court representative. You need make no additional statement. Any statement you choose to make may be used against you. You will enter a plea of guilty, not guilty, or no contest.

A plea of GUILTY results in being assessed a fine and court costs. A plea of NOT GUILTY means your matter will be assigned a trial date, and you will need to come back on that date, ready to present evidence as to why you believe you did not commit the cited act(s). You may, if you choose, retain legal counsel at your expense. Under the American legal system, all persons are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. On a plea of NOT GUILTY, a trial is held and the city must prove all allegations in the formal complaint against you beyond a reasonable doubt before a verdict of guilty can be reached. A plea of NO CONTEST means that you are not admitting guilt but that you wish to address the Mayor or the Magistrate about any mitigating circumstances. You may be assessed some or all of the fine and court costs.


Show All Answers

1. How can I contact the prosecutor if I am issued a ticket in the City of Grandview Heights?
2. How do I find out what legislation is being discussed by Council?
3. Why do I see a lot of legislation being declared an “emergency”?
4. What happens when I get a ticket in Grandview Heights?
5. What if I am a minor issued a ticket in Mayor's Court?
6. How do I pay a ticket if I am not contesting it in Mayor's Court?
7. What is the difference between a resolution and an ordinance?
8. Where can I find out City requirements, laws or standards, such as building codes, traffic laws, etc. ?
9. What should I do if I believe I have been a victim of domestic violence or any other crime?
10. I received notice that my local income taxes have not been reported or paid. What should I do?